How to Fix iPhone Error Code 4013 – Best Solution for iPhone Error 4013:
iPhone is a smart phone device made by Apple Incorporation. Most people love iPhone because of its smooth iOS and camera quality. iPhone is also popular for its security features. However, every electronic gadget comes with some favorable things and some unfavorable. iPhone error code 4013 is one of the unfavorable things for iPhone users.
The error code 4013 happens during the update or restore of iPhone. Apple Inc. provides a feature to update/restore iPhone from iTunes on Mac PC. If the restore process is stopped in the middle, you will face iPhone error 4013 or other errors like 4014, 4005 and error code 9. Here we will give you best solution to fix iPhone error 4013 in a simple way.
What is Error 4013?
Error 4013 is a type of unknown error that’s displayed on MacBook or Mac PC screen. When you connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch with your computer, you will see the dialogue as “The iPhone [device name] could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (4013).”
When does Error 4013 occur on iPhone?
The iPhone Error 4013 occurs when the user tries to update or restore iPhone from iTunes. In simple words, when you update/restore your iPhone with help of iTunes on your Mac or Windows PC, it may show you the error code 4013.
Causes of iPhone Error 4013
When you see “error 4013” on your iPhone or other iOS device, you want to know the causes. This error code (4013) may occur because of various reasons. Some common causes are hardware issues i.e. there’s a fault in iPhone Cable or the USB Port of your Mac PC. Here we provide the list of all possible causes for iPhone Error 4013 as follows:
- iPhone Cable Cord is Faulty.
- USB Port of Mac PC is not working properly.
- WiFi Connection is weak or not working well.
- iTunes Version on Mac PC is outdated.
- Mac OS Version is not up to date i.e. older version.
- iPhone does not have enough space for new update.
- Any other reason causing error code 4013.
It is not necessary that iPhone Error 4013 is occurred on your iPhone due to all or one of the above causes. This error appears for some known and many unknown reasons. Therefore we recommend to you stop thinking about causes and let us step into the solution.
How to Fix iPhone Error 4013
There are some common errors that appears only when you update or restore your iPhone from iTunes on Mac. When an iPhone or iOS device gets disconnected from iTunes during a restore or update, the process gets interrupted. As a result, the iPhone or iTunes will show up the Error 4013 or other error codes [4014, 4005 and 9]. Here we provide some effective ways to fix iPhone Error 4013.
01. Check WiFi Connection
WiFi Connection is must for updating your iPhone from iTunes on Mac PC or other computer. Both the PC and iPhone should be connected to one single WiFi network. The connectivity should be strong and the internet must be working at high speed. When WiFi is working with faster speed, the chances of iPhone Error 4013 are rare.
You should check the WiFi Connection and if there’s a problem, just disconnect both devices, restart them and connect them to WiFi again. If you find that the problem is in your current WiFi, you should use another WiFi Network to update or restore your iPhone from iTunes.
02. Check iPhone Cable Cord and PC USB Port
You should have a Mac Computer and Cable Cord to connect your iPhone with iTunes. Make sure you are using the Original Apple iPhone Cable Cord and its connectors are working. Moreover, you should check if the USB Port is working properly on your Mac PC/MacBook.
When you update/restore your iPhone from iTunes with working cable & ports, it won’t show the error code 4013. In case your iPhone Cable Cord is bent or broken, you should use a New Apple iPhone Cable. If the problem is in USB port, you should use another port of your Mac.
03. Use Other Mac PC/Computer
It is possible that the error 4013 is because of some problem in your computer. Suppose you have two computers, one is Mac and one other PC. You have tried to update or restore iPhone from iTunes on other computer, but it showed error code 4013.
We suggest you to connect your iPhone to iTunes again, but this time with your Mac and not the PC you used earlier. Download iTunes on Mac if it does not already have it. There are many chances that this technique will solve the issue of iPhone Error 4013.
04. Clean Up Space on iPhone
When you update or restore iPhone from iTunes, the new iOS is installed to your iPhone. You should check the storage space on your iPhone. In case your iPhone is running out of storage, it will show you iPhone error 4013. Because your iPhone does not have enough space for installing iOS from iTunes.
In such circumstances, you have to clean up some space on your iPhone. If you have many photos and videos on iPhone, kindly copy them to your Mac and delete from your iPhone. Thus you can fix iPhone error 4013 by freeing up space on your iPhone.
05. Reset All Settings on iPhone (without losing data)
iPhone Settings provide various reset options as mentioned below:
- Reset Network Settings
- Reset Keyboard Dictionary
- Reset Home Screen Layout
- Reset Location & Privacy
- Reset All Settings
- Erase All Content and Settings
In this method, we will discuss about “Reset All Settings” option. iPhone may not connect with iTunes because of some changes in settings. You should reset all settings on iPhone and try again to update or restore your iPhone from iTunes on Mac PC.
Steps to Reset All Settings on iPhone:
01. Click on “Settings” Icon to open your iPhone Settings.
02. Select “General” tab to open general settings.
03. Navigate downwards to reach “Reset” tab.
04. Tap on “Reset” tab to open list of reset options.
05. Now click on “Reset All Settings” to proceed.
06. Enter your Passcode and tap again on “Reset All Settings.”
We hope that your iPhone error code 4013 is solved after you have reset all settings. Now you should connect your iPhone to Mac and update/restore from iTunes.
06. Update iTunes, Mac OS and Force Restart iPhone
Apple Inc. is the authorized developer of iOS, Mac OS and all apple apps. You should check the iTunes Version on your Mac PC or other computer. In case the iTunes App has an outdated version, it may result as iPhone error 4013 during restore/update process.
An older Mac OS is also responsible for such errors. Therefore we recommend that you must Update iTunes and Mac OS on your Mac PC/MacBook. If you are using a Windows Computer, still you need to Update iTunes App on computer. You should have a working WiFi Internet to update iTunes on Mac. To make it easy for you, we have divided this method into three parts as under:
- Update iTunes to Latest Version
- Update Mac OS to Latest Version
- Force Restart iPhone
[Part I] Update iTunes to Latest Version
Here we provide some easy steps to update iTunes on Mac PC or MacBook and other computer.
Steps to Update iTunes on Mac PC, MacBook, Windows Computer:
01. Launch iTunes App on your Mac PC or MacBook.
02. Go to Menu Bar and select “iTunes” Section.
03. Click on “Check for Updates” to proceed.
04. It will show if an update is available for iTunes App.
05. Update iTunes to latest version and restart your computer.
[Part II] Update Mac OS to Latest Version
Before you update your Mac OS to newer version, you need to check current Mac OS on your Mac PC. Because the Mac OS Update Procedure is different for MacBook with Mojave and MacBook with earlier Mac OS.
Steps to Update Mac OS on MacBook, Mac PC:
Kindly follow the steps mentioned below to update Mac OS on your Mac:
Update Procedure for Mac OS Mojave
01. Open Apple Menu from your Mac PC Desktop.
02. Select “System Preferences” tab.
03. Find out “Software Update” Icon and click on it.
04. Check for Updates for Mac OS.
05. Select “Update Now” to begin the downloading process.
06. Install New Mac OS Update and restart your computer.
Update Procedure for earlier Mac OS
01. Open Apple Menu from Desktop.
02. Select “App Store” tab to open Mac App Store.
03. On App Store Toolbar, select “Updates” option.
04. Check the list of updates available on your Mac PC.
05. Navigate to Software Update section and click on “Update Now” button.
06. Download & Install Mac OS Update and then restart your computer.
[Part III] Force Restart iPhone
When you face iPhone error code 4013, you have to take three important steps i.e. i) Update iTunes, ii) Update Mac OS and iii) Force Restart iPhone. You have already updated iTunes and Mac OS on your Mac PC/MacBook. Now you need to force restart your iPhone, we will show you how to do it.
There are three different methods to force restart iPhone. These methods are developed for old, new and latest iPhone models. So the procedure to force restart iPhone is completely based on your iPhone model.
Here we provide iPhone model wise methods to force restart iPhone as follows:
Force Restart iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone X and iPhone 8
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button.
- Finally, press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.
Force Restart iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus
- Press and hold both the Side and Volume Down buttons.
- Hold these buttons for at least 10 seconds.
- Leave the buttons when you see the Apple logo.
Force Restart iPhone 6s and earlier
- Press and hold both the Home and Top (or Side) buttons.
- Hold these buttons for at least 10 seconds.
- Leave the buttons when you see the Apple logo.
After doing force restart iPhone, you should connect your iPhone to Mac PC. Now you should Update (not restore) your iPhone from iTunes. This process will reinstall iOS on iPhone and will keep your personal data.
07. Erase All Content and Settings on iPhone
iPhone Reset options contain “Normal Reset” and “Factory Reset.” If you want to keep personal data, you should choose “Reset All Settings” as mentioned above in Method 05. In case your iPhone is still showing the error code 4013 then you should try “Erase All Content and Settings” to fix this error.
When you perform factory reset on iPhone, it will erase all your personal data and installed apps. The personal data includes photos, videos, documents, saved logins and much more. Therefore we request you to take backup of your data before you erase all content and settings on your iPhone.
Steps to Erase All Content and Settings on iPhone:
Kindly follow the steps given below to Factory Reset iPhone.
- Tap on “Settings” icon to open your iPhone Settings.
- Select “General” tab to see general settings.
- Navigate to “Reset” and select it.
- Now click on “Erase All Content and Settings” option.
- Enter your iPhone Passcode.
- Finally tap on “Erase iPhone” to erase all data and apps.
The option “Erase iPhone” will delete all personal data and apps, and your iPhone will restart. Thereafter you should connect your iPhone with Mac PC or MacBook and try to update/restore it from iTunes. We hope that iPhone error code 4013 is fixed after erasing all content on your iPhone.
08. Turn On DFU or Recovery Mode on iPhone
The iPhone error code 4013 does not occur when iPhone is in recovery/DFU mode. Therefore this method is much more effective on all iPhone models. Kindly remember that your personal data and apps will be deleted when you restore your iPhone in recovery mode from iTunes on Mac PC. So we request you to take backup of your data before applying this method to fix iPhone error code 4013.
Enter into DFU/Recovery Mode and Restore iPhone from iTunes on Mac PC
01. Connect your iPhone to Mac PC or MacBook.
02. Launch iTunes on your Mac.
03. Press Sleep/Wake button and Home button simultaneously.
04. Hold both the buttons for minimum 10 seconds.
05. Release Sleep/Wake button, but keep holding the Home button.
06. Your iPhone will turn on in DFU/Recovery Mode.
07. Your Mac Screen will show “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.”
When you see the above dialogue on Mac PC Screen, you should leave the Home button of iPhone. Now your iPhone has fully black screen as it is in DFU/Recovery Mode.
Note: If the iPhone shows any other screen than black screen (as shown in picture) then you need to repeat the above steps.
Select “Restore iPhone” option in iTunes on your Mac to perform the process. You should wait till the restore process is going on and new iOS is installed on your iPhone.
09. Use Third Party App on Mac to Fix iPhone Error Code 4013
We have kept this method last, because you need to install a third party software to apply this method. These apps are developed by experts to repair iPhone iOS and fix various errors. You can use iMyPhone iOS System Recovery, dr.fone iOS Repair and other apps to fix iPhone error code 4013. These apps provide backup, restore and repair iPhone data & iOS without any data loss. If an action is going to erase personal data, the app will warn you in advance.
Important Note: Please note that nobody will take responsibility of data loss during iOS repair or fixing errors on iPhone. If you use any app to fix iPhone error code 4013, you should backup your data first to avoid the risk of data loss.
Contact Apple Support
Your iPhone error 4013 must have been solved now. In case it is still not fixed and you can’t restore/update iPhone from iTunes, you need to take the ultimate action. You should contact Apple Support via Phone Call, Live Chat, Email or directly visit your nearby Apple iPhone Service Center. You should bring your iPhone Bill in original with yourself if the iPhone is under warranty period.
All the information given above about iPhone Error Code 4013 is true and fair. The methods mentioned here are based on our practical experiment procedure & results. For more queries regarding how to fix iPhone error code 4013 during update/restore from iTunes, please contact Apple Helpline Number at 1-800-MY-APPLE (800-692-7753) or visit Apple Support Website at support.apple.com.