Connecting Your iPod to Your Stereo – How to connect your iPhone or iPod to your home stereo:
The iPod models are dedicated to the music lovers across the world. So, connecting your iPod to your home stereo system is going to improve your music experience.
The Apple has upgraded its iPod design to make it the most useful and entertaining for its users. On the basis of iPod design, the method to connect it to home stereo will change.
How to Connect Your iPhone or iPod to Your Home Stereo System
Now, we are going to explain 4 different methods to connect your iPod to your home stereo system in the right way. You should go through all the methods of connecting an iPod to a home stereo system and apply the method that suits you the most.
#1. Connect Your iPod Directly to Your Home Stereo System
The iPod device comes with a 3.5mm jack so that you can connect the Apple AirPods or any other earphones/headphones. The built-in 3.5mm jack is also useful to connect your iPod to your home stereo system.
Every home stereo system has two audio input sockets on its back or a side. Make sure your home stereo system contains such audio input sockets where you can plug in the RCA connectors. In case your home stereo does not have audio input sockets then you can’t connect your iPod to the stereo system using this method.
In this method, you must have an RCA cable with two RCA connectors on one end and one 3.5mm connector on the other end. If you already have that cable then go ahead to the connecting process otherwise buy the high quality RCA cable from a reliable shop or online store and then check the connecting process.
Steps to Directly Connect Your iPod to Your Home Stereo System:
- Make sure you have a fully charged iPod, a working home stereo system and the best quality RCA cable.
- Plug in the 2 RCA connectors into the audio input sockets given on back of your home stereo system.
- Thereafter connect the other end of the cable into the 3.5mm jack of your iPod.
- Make sure the connectors are plugged in properly, then turn on the home stereo system.
- Finally, start playing your favorite music and songs on your iPod and listen to them on your home stereo system.
- If you find the volume slow, you can increase it from the iPod as well as from the home stereo system.
It is recommended to plug-in 2 RCA connectors into AUX-IN sockets, but you can also use TAPE-IN, TV-IN, DVD-IN and CD INPUT sockets. Please do NOT use the PHONO-IN sockets as they are designed only for using with a record player.
#2. Get iPod Dock or Docking Station to Connect It to Home Stereo System
The direct connecting method works on almost all iPod models and it is also an inexpensive method. However, some iPod users have told me that the music quality is not much good on the home stereo system when connected to the iPod or iPhone. Moreover, the stereo system is not cheap still the sound quality is not up to the mark.
The Apple company makes iPod dock that can help in improvement of sound quality. The iPod dock is also known as lighting dock, docking station and other names. It is used for charging the iPod, syncing it and also for connecting the iPod to the home stereo system. So, find a compatible iPod dock/docking station and buy it.
You should have your iPod, an iPod dock and a home stereo system to apply this method. You should also have an RCA cable which we have specified above. When all the things are ready, go ahead with the step by step process described below.
- Get your iPod in hands and connect it with the iPod dock/docking station.
- Plug in the two RCA connectors of RCA cable into the back of the home stereo system, make sure you insert the connectors into AUX-IN or relevant audio input sockets.
- Now, plug-in the 3.5mm connector or RCA cable into the 3.5mm jack given on front of the iPod dock.
- Finally, turn on the home stereo system and start playing music in your iPod to listen to them on the stereo speakers.
With this method, you have buy a new iPod dock or docking station. So, it can be an expensive option for you. But it also improves the sound quality which you will notice when you listen to 1 song with direct connect method and the same song with iPod dock connect method. In case the sound quality does not matter to you then you can adapt the first method i.e. use RCA cable to connect your iPod to your home stereo system and enjoy it.
#3. Connect iPod to Home Stereo System with Bluetooth
You can also connect your iPod to your home stereo system with help of Bluetooth connectivity. Out of all three methods, this method is the easiest to learn for everyone. But it requires either Bluetooth feature on both the devices i.e. your iPod and your home stereo system.
The iPod Nano and iPod Touch models come with built-in Bluetooth function. If you have any other iPod then it requires a Bluetooth adapter. In addition, if your home stereo system does not have built-in Bluetooth then you need to buy a Bluetooth receiver cum adapter for it.
The steps for connecting your iPod to your home stereo system is different when you have built-in Bluetooth on both devices and when you don’t have it.
I) Your iPod and Home Stereo System Have Built-in Bluetooth:
- Turn on your home stereo system and make sure its built-in Bluetooth is ON.
- Turn on Bluetooth on your iPod device and find nearby Bluetooth devices.
- Pair your iPod with your home stereo system via Bluetooth connection.
- Start playing a song to know if they are connected. If it works then you can enjoy listening to your favorite songs as long as you want.
II) Your iPod and Home Stereo System Don’t Have Built-in Bluetooth:
- Connect the Bluetooth Adapter to your iPod and connect the Bluetooth Audio Receiver to your home stereo system.
- Turn on the Bluetooth on your iPod and make sure the Bluetooth Audio Receiver is on pairing mode.
- Pair the iPod Bluetooth Adapter with Audio Receiver of your home stereo system.
- Once connected, start playing your favorite songs and enjoy.
#4. Use Apple AirPort Express and WiFi to Connect iPod to Home Stereo System
In order to use this method, you should have an iPod Touch model with WiFi function. Moreover, you have to purchase the Apple AirPort Express device from Apple Store or Amazon. In this method, your home stereo system need not to have WiFi feature as they will connected through a wired cable.
The Apple AirPort Express is a multi-functional device. It allows you to create a wireless internet access point which makes it work like a router. In addition, you can also use the AirPort Express device to stream music from your iPod, iPhone, iPad and Mac computer. So, you can connect the AirPort Express to your home stereo system and then play music wireless from your iOS device.
Steps to Connect your iPod to Home Stereo System via WiFi using AirPort Express:
You should have a digital fiber optic cable or an analog mini stereo to dual RCA cable or a mini stereo to mini stereo cable. Actually, the type of cable you need is dependent on the connectors your home stereo system has/requires.
- You have to complete Apple AirPort Express Setup before we begin this process.
- Turn on the Apple AirPort Express device and connect it to your home stereo system using required cable.
- Then turn on your home stereo system.
- Now, turn on WiFi on your iPod Touch device, go to WiFi settings and join the WiFi Network shown on AirPort Express or your custom name.
- Finally, open AirPlay pop-up menu on your iPod and choose the AirPort Express you want to use for streaming music.
- Play your desired songs on your iPod to stream them on your home stereo system.
We have explained all four methods to connect an iPod to a home stereo system. We hope that you have got the answer for how to connect your iPod to your home stereo system in an easy way. If you still have a question or query then you can ask us in the comment section. In case your iPod does not connect to your home stereo, you should contact Apple Support to get help regarding the issue.