How to convert HEIC to JPG on Mac: The pictures you capture on iPhone and Mac are saved in HEIC format. But sometimes you need to submit or upload some pics to a website and it is possible that the website does not support HEIC image format. So, you have learn how to convert HEIC to JPG on Mac to fix the issue.
The HEIC stands for high efficiency image containers. It takes up less storage space for HD images compared to JPG and PNG image formats. The Apple Inc. has implemented HEIC format with iOS 11 on iPhone & iPad and with MacOS High Sierra on MacBook, Mac PC and iMac.
How to Convert HEIC to JPG on Mac
There are many third party apps and software that provide conversion of HEIC files into JPG files. But we strongly recommend you to use built-in apps on Mac to perform the process. Such apps are Preview, Photos and Automator.
In order to convert HEIC to JPG on Mac PC, you don’t need to be a technical expert. It is as simple as changing your desktop background picture. Now, we are going to explain the step by step process to convert your HEIC files into JPG files on your Mac device.
#1. Use Preview to Convert HEIC to JPG on Mac
Preview is an in-built app on every Mac computer. All Mac users use this app to view images on their PC and share them to others. But very few people know that they can convert the images from HEIC to JPG on Mac with help of the Preview app. Kindly follow the simple steps mentioned below:
01. Open Preview app on your Mac.
02. Open File Menu and Select “Open” tab.
03. Browse and find your desired HEIC file, then click on Open button given at bottom.
04. Now, open File Menu and click on “Export” tab.
05. A new small window will appear on your screen.
06. Type your desired name for new file, choose the destination folder where you want to store it and select “JPEG” in the format section.
07. Finally, click on “Save” button to convert the image from HEIC to JPG.
08. Go to destination folder to view the JPG image file.
In this way, you can convert any HEIC file to JPG file with Preview app on Mac.
#2. Use Photos to Convert HEIC to JPG on Mac
The Photos app is a pre-installed software on all Mac computers since 2015. The Photos app on Mac allows the users to view, edit, share and export images in an easier way. Not only that, you can also convert HEIC to JPG on Mac using the Photos application.
There are two ways to convert HEIC to JPG on Mac with help of Photos app.
First you need to transfer the HEIC photos from your iPhone to the Photos library. Thereafter you can drag and drop them to your Mac’s desktop or any other folder. As you drag and drop HEIC files, they will automatically get converted to JPG files.
This method requires some easy steps which are given as under:
01. Open Photos library on your Mac and select your desired HEIC image file (you can also select multiple files).
02. Open File Menu and click on “Export or Export Photo” option.
03. Select “JPEG” in Photo Kind and select/enter file name in given section.
04. Click on “Export” button to convert the HEIC file into JPG file.
05. Your HEIC image has been converted to JPG image on Mac.
#3. Use Automator to Convert HEIC to JPG on Mac
Automator comes as one of the built-in applications on Mac computers. Some users don’t know what Automator app can do on the Mac system. With help of Automator, you can rename files in a batch, move folders, filter mains and do many more things. The Automator is also useful to convert HEIC to JPG on Mac in the quickest way.
The Preview and Photos app can convert HEIC images into JPG images but you have to launch those apps to use the conversion function. On the other hand, Automator lets you create a “Quick Action” on your Mac to allow you to convert any HEIC image into JPG image in future without even launching the Automator app on your Mac.
First, you need to create a “Quick Action” with help of Automator on Mac. Thereafter, you will be able to convert HEIC to JPG on Mac in just one second. So, the Automator saves your valuable time and offers quick image format converting function on Mac.
Steps to Create “Quick Action” Using Automator on Mac:
Here we provide the steps for creating “Quick Action” using the Automator app on your Mac computer.
01. Launch Automator on Mac and select “New Document” option.
02. Select “Quick Action” and click on “Choose” button.
03. Double click on “Copy Finder Items” and choose the folder where you want to save the converted images.
04. Go to “Change Type” and select “Change Type of Images” option.
05. Choose “JPEG” format in “To Type” section.
06. Open File Menu and Save the Quick Action as “Convert to JPG” or any other name you prefer.
You have successfully created the Quick Action using Automator. Now, go ahead to the next step.
Convert HEIC to JPG Using “Quick Action” on Mac:
01. After the “Quick Action” is created, you can convert any HEIC file into JPG on Mac.
02. Simply, right-click on your desired HEIC image file and select “Quick Actions” option.
03. Click on “Convert to JPG” option to perform the process.
04. Your HEIC file has been converted to JPG file.
You can use this Quick Action option to meet all your future needs to convert all HEIC images into JPG images on Mac system.
How to Turn Off HEIC on iPhone
All iPhone, iPad and iOS devices capture picture in HEIC format. The reason is that HEIC format takes up almost half of the storage space then JPG and PNG still it maintains the equivalent image quality. But when you want an image in JPG format, you have to go through the conversion process.
Some Mac users asked us if there is a way to turn off HEIC on iPhone. Yes, there is a way. You can change the default image settings on your iPhone or iOS device so that it capture all future pictures/images in JPG format. This small change will save your time as you won’t need to convert any image from HEIC to JPG on Mac.
Here we provide the steps to turn off HEIC on iPhone in a simple way.
- Go to the Settings of your iPhone.
- Find out Camera and tap it to open your iPhone camera settings.
- You will see “Formats” option at top of the screen, tap on it.
- Here, “High Efficiency” means HEIC and “Most Compatible” means JPG.
- Just change the format from High Efficiency to Most Compatible option.
- Now, your iPhone will take all pictures in JPG format.
In this way, you can convert any HEIC file into JPG file on your Mac device. We hope our 3 easiest methods have helped you to convert HEIC to JPG on Mac with easy steps. If you still have any query or question, you can ask it to us in the comment section.