AirPods are wireless Bluetooth earphones made by Apple Inc. for iPhone, iPad, iPod and Mac users. Some users complain about AirPods double tap not working and they seek help, I am here to give some quick fixes for AirPods double not working problem with all my knowledge and experience.
The AirPods come with superb sound quality, comfortable fit, good battery life and customizable features. Apple has made different versions of AirPods to upgrade its quality, performance and add new features. With great features, AirPods also have several problems like not connecting, double tap not working, software glitches and others.
Using AirPods with an iPhone is a beautiful experience. Its customizable tap features allow you to control your iPhone from the AirPods. You can use single tap, double tap, triple tap and other options on AirPods to do various activities on your iPhone. If you are eager to know how to fix AirPods double tap not working problem then read this post till the end.
What Can You Do with AirPods Double Tap Option?
You can access Siri voice assistant, play/pause, next track and previous track with AirPods double tap option. The Apple provides customizable double tap features on AirPods so that the users can set suitable options for double tap on left AirPod and right AirPod as per their needs and preferences.
Here I provide the list of functions that you can use on your iPhone with double tap option on your AirPods.
- Activate Siri
- Play & Pause a Track/Song
- Go to Next Track/Song
- Return to Previous Track/Song
You can select separate or same options for left and right AirPods from AirPods settings in Bluetooth settings of your iPhone.
Why is Double Tap Not Working on Your AirPods?
The double tap is not working on your AirPods because your iPhone software is not up to date or any other issue. So, there are many reasons for double tap not working on AirPods that I have included in the list given below.
- The Connected iPhone Software is Not Up to Date
- Double Tap Option is Not Enabled from iPhone
- AirPods Have Software Glitches and Need Reset
- AirPods Have Low Battery Level
- Accumulation of Dust or a Layer of Dust on AirPods
- Technical Problem in AirPods Sensors
- The Left or Right or Both AirPods Have Hardware Issues
So, these are the possible reasons for your AirPods double tap not working issue, now let me take you through the solution.
The double tap option is available on AirPods Generation 1 and AirPods Generation 2 only. If you have AirPods Generation 3 or AirPods Pro then you can’t use double tap feature/option as it does not exist on these AirPods models.
7 Easiest Ways to Fix AirPods Double Tap Not Working Problem
The AirPods manufacturers of Apple Inc. try their best to make AirPods with high-end features without any malfunctioning. But the AirPods still show some technical problems like double tap not working, connectivity problem and others.
You can go to nearby Apple Service Center to fix AirPods double tap not working problem but I have some ideas for you. Before you visit the Apple Service Center, you should try some easiest ways to fix double tap not working on AirPods at home. These ideas can save your valuable time. Don’t worry, all the solutions that I suggest are harmless, so you can try it to resolve the problem ASAP.
- Update iPhone Software to Latest iOS Version
- Turn On Double Tap Option from iPhone
- Turn Off Automatic Ear Detection
- Forget AirPods from iPhone and Connect/Pair Again
- Clean AirPods to Remove Dust Layer(s)
- Reset AirPods
- Contact Apple Support
Now, I will explain each method to fix double tap not working issue on AirPods to make it easy to understand for you.
#1. Update iPhone Software to Latest iOS Version
Being an iPhone user, you should keep its software (iOS version) up to date. The Apple Inc. releases software updates for all iOS devices to fix bugs, add new features and keep them run smoothly.
When the iPhone is not updated to its latest iOS version, it can show some errors in using AirPods and other features on iPhone. So, I strongly recommend you to update software of your iPhone to fix AirPods double tap not working issue and other issues.
Kindly, disconnect AirPods from your iPhone first and then follow the below steps.
- On your iPhone, tap on Settings icon.
- Select “General” tab in settings.
- Tap on “Software Update” option.
- It will show the latest software update available for your iPhone.
- Tap on “Download and Install” option and continue.
- Wait till your iPhone downloads and installs latest software.
After your iPhone is updated to latest iOS version, connect it with AirPods and check if double tap is working now or not.
#2. Turn On AirPods Double Tap Option on iPhone
The double tap is a customizable feature in Apple AirPods, you can control it from your iPhone or any other iOS device. It means that you can enable (turn on) and disable (turn off) double tap feature of AirPods from your iPhone.
When the double tap is not working on AirPods, you must check if the option is enabled on your iPhone or not. If not enabled then you should enable it by following the steps given below.
Get the AirPods out of its charging case and connect them with your iPhone via Bluetooth before you begin this method.
- On your iPhone, tap on Settings icon.
- Find out Bluetooth and tap on it.
- Search for your AirPods name with its status as Connected.
- Tap on “i” button on right side of AirPods name on iPhone screen.
- Check the “Left” and “Right” options under Double Tap on AirPod setting.
- If one or both options show Off then you should turn them on.
- Tap on Left and Right options one-by-one and select your desired action for double tap function.
After turning on the AirPods double tap function on your iPhone, now the double tap should work properly.
#3. Turn Off Automatic Ear Detection
Based on my experience with various iPhone models and AirPods, they work quite accurately. But when AirPods malfunction, I try all the solutions available to fix the issue. So, the “Automatic Ear Detection” feature can be responsible for double tap not working on AirPods and the only way to fix it is to turn off the given feature from your iPhone.
Keep your iPhone connected to AirPods when following the steps for turning off Automatic Ear Detection feature.
- On your iPhone, tap on Settings icon.
- Go to Bluetooth settings.
- Find out your AirPods name with status as Connected.
- Tap on “i” button given on right side of AirPods name on iPhone screen.
- Now, see if Automatic Ear Detection is enabled.
- If it shows green then it is enabled, tap on it to turn off.
After turning off Automatic Ear Detection feature on your iPhone, check if the double tap works properly on AirPods.
#4. Forget AirPods from iPhone and Pair Again
Sometimes, the technical issues cause the AirPods double tap not working or malfunctioning problem. A simple way to fix it is to forget and remove AirPods from your iPhone and pair them again to reconnect. You can do it by following the steps given below.
- On your iPhone, tap on Settings icon.
- Tap on Bluetooth to open Bluetooth Settings.
- Navigate to your AirPods name and click on “i” button on right side.
- Finally, select “Forget This Device” and confirm the action.
- Put the AirPods back in its charging case and and close the lid.
- After 1 minute, open the charging case and get the AirPods out.
- Pair the AirPods with your iPhone again to reconnect them.
The forget and reconnect process is helpful to fix many problems of AirPods. After performing this process, you should check if the double tap is working properly or not.
#5. Clean AirPods to Remove Dust Layer(s)
I use AirPods to attend calls throughout the day, so my AirPods stay in my ears for 8 hours everyday. So, the chances of getting affected by dust are very high for my AirPods. Therefore I clean them regularly and you know, the accumulation of dust can cause malfunctioning of AirPods. So, you should clear AirPods to remove dust layer(s) and make the double tap function work again.
Kindly, disconnect the AirPods from your Phone and keep them out for cleaning purpose.
- Get a soft cloth and dampen it slightly with fresh water.
- Wipe the AirPods with the dampened cloth.
- Make sure that you don’t touch speaker mesh, microphone or any other opening of AirPods with dampened cloth.
- Now, get a soft, dry, lint-free cloth and wipe the AirPods to dry them.
- You can clean the speaker mesh and mic area with dry cloth if required.
- Put the AirPods aside and let them dry properly, don’t put them in charging case.
- After the AirPods are completely dry, put them in the charging case and close the lid.
You should not use the AirPods immediately after cleaning as they are wet. You should wait them to dry and put them in the charging case for a few minutes. Thereafter you can use the AirPods and check the double tap function to know if the issue is fixed.
#6. Reset AirPods
The experts often recommend to reset AirPods to resolve all technical issues. When the double tap doesn’t work or malfunctions, you should reset your AirPods to fix the issue. It is a very simple process, here I provide the steps for how to reset AirPods as under.
- Put your AirPods in the charging case and close the lid.
- Don’t do anything for 30 seconds.
- Open the lid and keep it open.
- On your iPhone, tap on Settings icon and go to Bluetooth settings.
- Check the list of Bluetooth devices and click on “i” button for the AirPods device.
- Click on “Forget This Device” and confirm to remove AirPods from your iPhone.
- Keep the lid of AirPods charging case open, now press and hold the setup button on the back of the case for 15 seconds.
- Keep holding the setup button until you see the status light first flashing amber and then white.
- Now, keep the AirPods in the charging case and lid open, reconnect them with your iPhone.
- Open Bluetooth Settings on your iPhone, tap on AirPods name and follow the on-screen instructions to reconnect.
After resetting the AirPods and reconnecting, you should be able to use the double tap function properly.
#7. Contact Apple Support
I have explained six different methods to fix AirPods double tap not working problem. One of the methods must work out for you and if not then your AirPods have some hardware issues that can be fixed by the Apple Service Center only.
You should contact Apple Support to let them know about the problem in your AirPods so that they can repair them to fix the problem ASAP. You can contact Apple Support online @getsupport.apple.com, sign in with your Apple ID & password and ask for technical service & support for the double tap issue on your AirPods.
You can also take your AirPods to nearby Apple Service Center to get them repaired/fixed by an authorized Apple technician.
Quick Fixes for AirPods Double Tap Not Working on Spotify
Sometimes, the double tap feature works well on your iPhone but it malfunctions on Spotify app. Spotify is a well known app that contains a huge collection of music tracks/songs and podcasts. It is designed to work on all iOS devices like iPhone, iPad, iPod and Android devices as well.
When the AirPods double tap option does not work on Spotify app, you can fix it quickly with the solutions I am sharing here.
- Update your iPhone software to the latest iOS version.
- Update Spotify app to its latest version.
- Check battery level of AirPods and charge them if required.
- Uninstall Spotify app, Restart your iPhone and Reinstall Spotify app after 30 minutes.
You should try the above tricks to fix AirPods double tap not working on Spotify problem.
What to Do When AirPods Double Tap Settings Not Showing
The double tap settings of AirPods are visible on the connected iOS device. If you have connected the AirPods with your iPhone then you can access the double tap settings in Bluetooth settings of your iPhone i.e. iPhone Settings>Bluetooth>”i” button near AirPods device name>Double Tap Settings.
In case you cannot see double tap settings on your iPhone, you need to fix it. Here I suggest some simple tricks to fix the issue.
- Disconnect AirPods from your iPhone and connect again.
- Restart your iPhone.
- Update your iPhone software to the latest version.
The above mentioned tricks should fix the AirPods double tap settings not showing problem.
Frequently Asked Questions
The AirPods come with many advanced features but the users don’t know all of them. The double tap feature is very popular but sometimes it doesn’t work. Here I provide some important questions about AirPods double tap function to help you understand how it works and how you can fix when it malfunctions.
Q.1 Why can’t I tap my AirPods?
You can’t tap your AirPods because the tap function is not enabled on your iPhone or you have AirPods Generation 3 or AirPods Pro which don’t have the tap function.
Q.2 Does double tap work on AirPods Pro?
No, the double tap does not work on AirPods Pro as it is available on AirPods Generation 1 and AirPods Generation 2 devices only.
Q.3 How can I turn off double tap on my AirPods?
You can turn off double tap on your AirPods from your iPhone, kindly follow the steps given below:
- Go to Settings on your iPhone.
- Tap on Bluetooth tab.
- Select “i” button on right end of your AirPods name.
- Tap on Left and Right tabs under Double Tap on AirPod setting.
- Choose “Off” option in both Left and Right AirPods to turn off double tap function.
Q.4 Where is the double tap sensor on AirPods?
The double tap sensor is located above the stem on AirPods, while the AirPods Pro have force sensor located on the sides of left and right AirPods.
I have explained all possible ways to fix AirPods double tap not working issue in simple words. I hope that you have found my suggested methods useful, so share this post with your friends to help them fix their AirPods. In case you still have any queries about double tap or other features of AirPods or AirPods Pro then ask me in the comment box, I will resolve your queries within appropriate time.